This is my new Weekly feature on my blog about living a little bit more fearlessly, these might be tiny steps of embracing things that we thought we couldn’t do but also learning to enjoy the small triumphs that lead even greater things.
A lot of my favorite bloggers, artist and makers are inspired by colour which in turn has subconsciously been drawing me in. I have found myself in these winter months trying my hardest to seek something more visually appealing then the grey skys outside my London home. So i thought there is no better subject to get started on then my love for colour and not being afraid to share more of it on your blog, in your work and with what you wear. I recently share on tips on my blogging content post. Now as a creative person colour to me has always been pretty vital in getting my ideas, thoughts and processes across. Not only as an artist but i think as a human we need things around us that appeal to our senses. Colour combinations too me can spark inspiration.
I am a massive fan of pattern, find me a good bold repeat pattern and I will love you forever! Introducing colour through patterns is one of the easiest ways to embrace colour into your wardrobe, home or art work. I wanted to share with you artists, blogger and other creatives who inspire me to Embrace colour fully.
Tigerlilly Quinn for me embraces colour fully and is one of my favorite bloggers for inspiration and the little outfit posts with Wilf are just perfect.
Leah Goren’s work has such a delicate yet bold look too it, and I just love the way she has combined colours, well known for her kitty repeat dress Leah’s work for Anthropologie is just perfect and endlessly inspiring.
Bri Emery of Design love fest has an endless ability to make me just want to have colourful pom poms hanging from every wall space and bright flowers draped on every surface!
Being Little Shares some of the best patterned combinations without a doubt. I am always a lover of all things Lyzi does.
Shiny Thoughts without a doubt has to be my ultimate “fearless embracer of colours” (made that word up!) Lucy’s outfit post and colourful details are just perfect!
I have been embracing a lot more colour in my studio and my work via the multicolour roses that I got from Flower Works Florist I was a little shocked when my mum ( who is a florist) I think the colour combination is created technically through a computer how amazing are they? They have been sat facing me all week while I draw and paint my new summer collection.
There are a simple ways you can embrace colour more on your blog, in your work and your wardrobe
– Bold patterns: You only need maybe one piece that brings out your outfit be it a colourful patterned scarf (think Little Magpie Head scarf style) or a pair of patterned trousers.
– Colour block: You can slowly introduce select palette into your wardrobe, I love this skirt from H&M for that, With the whole 70’s trend you can play about with simple colours
– Experiment and don’t be afraid, maybe buy a stronger pigment paint and work in that.
– Work in collage, work in cut out some great pieces by Laura at Cardboard Cities are wonderful and so is her blog
– Pinterest is a great place for collecting inspiring images of colour and how other combine it could make a board inspired by your favorite outfits, patterns, stationary or purses you name it. I kinda like to think of it like those colour swatches you use to rob from the Dulex section of Homebase. Boards like colour collection, fashion, packaging, pattern… go ahead and get started on your own.
I hope that has helped in some way, Remember to just have fun with what you do and be fearless, next weeks topic is all about Learning something new.