After I decided to fully embrace my new plant based diet with a hell of a lot of planing and prepping meals this week, I panicked that I wouldn’t be able to sustain my sweet tooth. So when I stumbled across Deliciously Ella’s sweet potato brownies. I was so excited to get making them. My first batch was filled with chunky Almonds instead of ground ones like in the reciepe just because I didn’t have any in the cupboard. The recipe is pretty simple, I found the taste to begin with a little odd but was so delicious. I still need to practice the recipe a few more times but I am really happy with how they turned out.
Batch 10 Brownies
– 2 large sweet potatoes.
– 2 large sweet potatoes (600g)
– 2/3 of a cup of ground almonds/chunky for added texture (80g)
– 1/2 a cup of buckwheat or brown rice flour (100g)
– 14 medjool dates – Used normal dates for this recipe.
– 4 tablespoons of raw cacao
– 3 tablespoons of pure maple syrup / can use raw honey
– a pinch of salt
1. Start by pre-heating the oven to 180C, then
peel the sweet potatoes. Cut them into chunks and place into a steamer
for about twenty minutes, until they become really soft.
2. Once they are perfectly soft and beginning
to fall apart remove them and add them to a food processor with the
3. Put the remaining ingredients into a bowl, before mixing in the sweet potato date combination. Stir well.
3. Place into a lined baking/greased dish and cook for
about twenty minutes, until you can pierce the brownie cake with a fork
bringing it out clean. Remove the tray and allow it to cool for about ten
minutes – this is really important as it needs this time to stick
Remove the brownies from the tray, leaving it another few
minutes before cutting them into squares – Then devour.